As part of Your application process, You are required to verify and affirm that You have read and thoroughly reviewed the Volunteer Placement Contract and that You understand, entirely accept and agree to be bound by all of its terms. This Agreement includes important aspects which need to be agreed upon before the final process of the application is processed. The following is the body of the Agreement. The PDF version of the Agreement is available for download here.
Please note: VACI Staff are available to assist you in anyway if you need further assistance or clarification on any of the points outlined within this agreement.
- VACI Ghana is not obligated to perform any other services for or on behalf of you other than those specific services identified. Unless specifically provided otherwise in this Agreement, You shall remain solely responsible for paying any and all costs and expenses related to your participation in any Project and/or Placement.
- In regards to placement arrangements, VACI will review and research your Placement requests and attempt to reasonably match Your personal interests or preferences with the list of Projects made available to us in conjunction with our Volunteer Coordinators. Since all Placements and corresponding projects are based in a developing country and some in rural conditions, you are required to be flexible with regard to placements and living conditions.
- Project Selection. If, after your arrival, you are dissatisfied with your project or placement, VACI will likely be unable to timely find an alternative project or placement for You; however, the Country Coordinator will work with You to try to resolve any difficulties as quickly as practicable.
- VACI arranges for a Host Family to provide living accommodations and meals for You during the Project Period. In terms of accommodations and meals, VACI guarantees safe, clean accommodations based on local standards (not always North American standards). Living will be basic and hygienic conditions for bathroom, toilet and related living facilities are often below western standards and are very primitive in many developing countries, you should be prepared to bring with you: (soap, toilet paper, shampoo, hand wipes, towels and others).
- Any accommodations provided as part of a placement are intended solely for use by Participants. No visitors of any Participant are permitted to make any use of any accommodations or meals provided by the Host Family. No visitors are allowed in the volunteer house, Host Family
- If you choose to spend time away from the accommodations provided during the project period, such as on an overnight trip that you organize, You do so at Your own cost and neither VACI nor the Host Family will refund or reimburse You for accommodation costs incurred by You during time spent away from the Host Family. You must officially advise the Country Coordinator and your Host Family of any travel weekend plans.
- VACI doesn’t offer travel insurance. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the participant to obtain travel insurance prior to travelling.
- You represent and warrant that you are in sufficient physical and mental health to participate in the Placement and Project selected for you and do not have any physical or mental conditions which could impair Your ability to participate in any Placement or Project.
- In consideration for VACI’S services in planning and arranging Your Placement and/or Program, You hereby agree to timely pay to VACI all of the Program fees listed. Note: Participants requiring expedited placements or date changes will be assessed an additional fee. Payment in full is due 40 days prior to departure. Late payments will be assessed a $50 late payment fee. Last minute bookings require full payment with the application, with 24hrs of confirmation, with Paypal or Money Order. No personal checks for last minute bookings.
- Developing countries obviously have great needs but very limited resources. As a result, you hereby agree that Placements and Projects in developing countries cannot and shall not be held to the same standards as similar Placements and Projects in developed nations. You agree that that you shall not request any Placement and/or Project in a developing Host Country unless you have a thorough understanding of what to expect as far as accommodations, meals and likely Project challenges.
- Developing Countries. Due to the fact that developing countries are poor and generally limited to primitive goods, services and resources, you agree, understand and acknowledge that you will not be provided and shall not expect to receive luxurious or superior accommodations and/or meals during the Project Period in Ghana. You further agree, understand and acknowledge that the living accommodations and meals in such developing countries will be minimal and basic.
- For the entire duration of the Project Period, You hereby agree that you shall provide voluntary employment services in connection with the Project, as requested and directed from time-to-time by the Project Staff. You hereby agree to join Your Project on the correct date and to continue work on the Project throughout the duration of the Project and show up to the job on time.
- Respect and Adhere to Local Culture, Customs, and Laws. Africa is a land of cultural wonders and African countries cherish and staunchly protect their traditional cultures, where values, thinking, dressing, and daily activities are very different from western culture. It is your responsibility to understand and follow the local culture, customs and laws during your entire stay in Ghana. You agree to dress appropriately, respecting the culture of Ghana and Host Family; you must do your research on this matter.
- You agree to respect the culture and follow the rules of the Host Family. Host Families in developing countries can be very sensitive to cultural differences and it is Your responsibility to discuss cultural issues with the Country Coordinator and/or Host Family.
- You agree and acknowledge that you will not leave any valuable belongings unattended or in any room without a lock and that VACI is not responsible, under any circumstances, for any damaged, lost or stolen items. This also is true at the Project, things like cell phones, cameras; wallets, passports should not be taken, or left unattended at any time.
- You agree, understand and acknowledge that you will be solely responsible for arranging and paying for your own travel, specifically including all airfare to and from the Host Country and local transportation. It is your responsibility to carry all necessary documents while you travel overseas. You agree that VACI shall not be responsible for any supporting documents necessary for your travel needs or other purposes. You agree that VACI is not responsible for any airfare or for any other charges that may result from cancelling, changing or transferring flights or other arrangements which may result or occur as a result of Your Placement and/or Project being revised, cancelled, terminated or otherwise modified due to Force Majeure and/or any event and/or circumstances outside VACI’S control. Please note that Program Fees do not cover in-country daily transportation.
- You agree, understand and acknowledge that You are solely responsible for all of Your personal expenses during your Placement, which includes but is not limited to the cost of daily transportation to and from Your Host Family accommodations and Your Project.
- You agree that You are and shall remain personally and solely liable for Your conduct, actions and/or omissions within the Host Country, including, without limitation, any damages You and/or Your guests may cause: (i) to the Host Family and/or accommodations provided by the Host Family; (ii) to the Project Staff and/or the Project; and (iii) any person or property located within the Host Country.
- Responsibility for Immunizations and Medical Conditions. You agree that it is and shall remain Your sole responsibility to ensure that You have taken appropriate medical advice from your doctor with respect to the Host Country in which you will be working, and that you have received all of the appropriate inoculations, immunizations and medical treatments with respect to the Host Country in which You will be placed within the appropriate period of time prior to Your arrival.
- Food and Water in Developing Countries. Water and food safety and sanitation in developing countries is not nearly as regulated in developing countries as it is in developed countries. As a consequence, tap water and local foods from smaller restaurants and food vendors is much more likely to be polluted, contaminated or contain impurities that could be harmful if digested. For these reasons, You agree that You are solely responsible for avoiding the consumption of tap water and avoiding foods from roadside vendors and/or cheap restaurants. Any consumption of tap water, without boiling it first, or eating foods from roadside vendors or similar sources may result in diarrhea or more serious ailments.
- Visas: In all cases, a visa is required for entering any Host Country to provide volunteer services. You agree, understand and acknowledge that You are solely responsible for arranging, obtaining and/or extending Your visa, including payment of any and all fees associated with Your visa.
- Refund Restrictions: Registration fees are non-refundable. Program fees are partially refundable, depending on how far in advance you decide to modify or cancel your program. Program fees are refundable until 14 days after the registered date if an applicant is no longer able to participate in the program. Once you have passed he deadline, any fees you have paid are strictly non-refundable.
Releases and Waiver of Liabilities
- Assumption of Personal Risks: YOU HEREBY AGREE, UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR AGREEMENT TO TRAVEL TO, TEMPORARILY LIVE IN AND PROVIDE VOLUNTEER SERVICES ON A PROJECT IN A FOREIGN HOST COUNTRY NECESSARILY INVOLVES A CERTAIN DEGREE OF HAZARDS, INHERENTLY DANGEROUS ACTIVITIES AND PERSONAL RISKS TO YOU, BOTH FORESEEN AND UNFORESEEN, ALL OF WHICH ARE FULLY ACCEPTED BY AND SOLELY ASSUMED BY YOU. IN ADDITION, YOU HEREBY FULLY AND PERMANENTLY RELEASE AND FOREVER DISCHARGE ABV FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR YOUR PERSONAL INJURY, EMOTIONAL INJURY, ILLNESS, DISEASE, DEATH, AND/OR PROPERTY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT OR OCCUR DURING YOUR PLACEMENT AND/OR THE PROJECT PERIOD.
- Release and Waivers in favour of VACI: YOU HEREBY FULLY, PERMANENTLY AND IRREVOCABLY RELEASE, FOREVER DISCHARGE AND AGREE NOT TO SUE VACI GHANA, INCLUDING ANY AND ALL OF ITS SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS, ITS AGENTS, MANAGERS, PARTICIPANTS, APPLICANTS, MEMBERS, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS OR REPRESENTATIVES, AND ANY COUNTRY COORDINATORS, VOLUNTEER COORDINATORS, HOST FAMILIES OR OTHER PERSONS, ENTITIES, PARTIES, ORGANIZATIONS OR AGENCIES COLLABORATING WITH VACI (COLLECTIVELY “RELEASED PARTIES”), VOLUNTARILY AND WITHOUT DURESS, FROM ANY AND ALL ACTIONS, SUITS, LIABILITY, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, COSTS AND/OR CAUSES OF ACTION FOR DAMAGES OR OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE RELIEF OF ANY NATURE INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, CLAIMS FOR PERSONAL INJURY, EMOTIONAL INJURY, ILLNESS, DISEASE, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR OTHER LOSSES, EXPENSES AND/OR DAMAGES (COLLECTIVELY “CLAIMS”), WHICH MAY HEREAFTER ARISE FROM ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THAT ARISING FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN ANY PROJECT OR PLACEMENT AND/OR ANY PROJECT, ACTIVITY OR EVENT SPONSORED, MANAGED, ARRANGED, OR PROMOTED BY, OR OTHERWISE AFFILIATED OR ASSOCIATED WITH VACI, WHETHER OR NOT FORESEEABLE OR CONTRIBUTED TO BY THE NEGLIGENT ACTS OR OMISSIONS OF VACI OR OTHERS.
- Acknowledgment. You agree, understand and acknowledge that Your release and waivers in this section 23 in favour of the Released Parties effectively releases and discharges the Released Parties from any liability or claim that You may have against the Released Parties with respect to any Claims that may result from Your participation in any Placement and/or Project. You also agree, understand and acknowledge that VACI does not assume any responsibility or obligation to provide financial assistance or other assistance, including, but not limited to, medical, health, or disability insurance, in the event of injury, illness, death, or property damage. You agree, understand and acknowledge that you are solely responsible for Your own safety and health care needs and for the protection of Your property
I understand that the Volunteer Placement Program reserves the right to terminate my volunteer status as a result of:
- Failure to comply with organizational policies, rules and regulations,
- Absences without prior notification,
- Unsatisfactory attitude, work or appearance or
- Any other circumstances which, in the judgement of Country Director, would make my continued service as a volunteer contrary to the best interests of the organisation.
If you have understood and agree with the provisions in this agreement, click here to continue your booking process.