VACI-Ghana counselling is an integral part of the VACI project with the intention of educating and supporting at-risk youth on issues such as teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, sexual transmitted infections (especially HIV/AIDS), unsafe abortion and school drop out and targeting the ever-increasing youth unemployment rate, one of the biggest problems in Ghana today. The VACI-Ghana counselling project provides an opportunity for adults to mentor and counsel youth concerning their lives and future careers. Counsellors will help the youth to discover and build upon their strengths in order to overcome challenges and make progress toward their goals. This will enable the youth to gain valuable and needed skills for future success in their education, employment, and social lives. Volunteers with experience in education, counselling, mentoring, or working closely with children, adolescents and young adults are preferred. VACI counselling project provides the opportunity for education, psychology and social work students and professionals to work with VACI to bring this much needed service to schools and communities within Ghana. This opportunity enables qualified volunteers to acquire experience in their respective fields and to impact the lives of the children and youth in Denu in the Ketu district of southern part of Ghana.
Potential counselling opportunities include:
- Group counselling within schools in the volunteer’s area of expertise.
- One-on-one student counselling in the counselling centre.
- Mass education on health issues in the Denu community.
- Community counselling, involving a volunteer moving out within the communities doing group counselling or one-on-one counselling.
An application fee of $100 is charged over and above the program fee as an application payment.
Volunteers can begin their project placement from any Monday of the month. Volunteers need to arrive one day prior to their program start date. Counselling / Social Work Project Description
Please note that opportunities for one-on-one counselling with children, youth, and adults will be reserved for volunteers with specific training and experience in individual counselling and/ or therapy.
Project Locations: Denu, Afao, Dzodze
During your Free Time
On the weekends, volunteers can go and visit the different places of interest in and around the city. During the weekends, you can visit tourist attractions like Wli Waterfalls, Tafi Monkey Sanctuary, Kakum Canopy Walk, Togo. Volunteers also take a trip to Cape Coast to relax in the beautiful beaches and see the famous Cape Coast castle.
VACI-Ghana strives hard to keep costs low and offers one of the most affordable volunteer abroad programs. Compare our prices and services to other organizations and you would be surprised to see the difference.
Application fee $ 100 Program fee 2 weeks $ 300 Program fee 3 weeks $ 450 Program fee 4 weeks $ 600 Orientation fee $ 150
What are you Paying For?
- 24 hrs.. Assistance and support from Staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Airport Pick-up from Accra
- First night hotel stay in Accra, if required
- Transportation from Accra to Project city by Bus
- Food - 2 meals a day
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
What's NOT Included?
- Local Transportation
- Return Airport Drop(Can be arranged at an extra cost)
What we provide
- Airport Receive/ Transfer: You will be met by our representative at Kotoka International Airport in Accra from where you are transferred to your project location. Volunteers will stay overnight in Accra at hotel accommodation provided by Volunteering Solutions and travel to the respective locations the next day.
- Orientation: A half day orientation will be provided by your local coordinator. Areas like culture, safety, locations, transportation are covered in the Orientation. After your orientation is over, you will be introduced to your project.
- Lodging: Volunteers will be staying with a standard Ghanaian Host family. Accommodation is either provided in an individual or shared room along with other volunteer. By staying with a family you will experience the local Ghanaian culture, language customs and traditions.
- Food: Volunteers are provided with 2 meals (breakfast and dinner) at the host family house. Ghanaian cuisine consists primarily of starches, soups, beans, and meat and fish. The Starches consist mainly of rice and doughy balls made from mashed cassava, plantain or yams.
- Pre-departure information: After we receive full and final payment all participants are provided by a pre-departure information booklet by e-mail which will have all vital information about your program. The Pre Departure Information Booklet provides the complete details of the country, project locations, Things to Pack list, Accommodations, Contact Information etc.
- In-country support: 24 hours support provided by our local staff. You will be provided with the contact details of the local coordinator and staff who will be contactable 24 hrs. once you are in country.